Jon Smucker and Charles Tomkins: Putting Frisbee and Jelly on the Map

By Olivia Provan and Reilly Pruitt

Jon Smucker and Charles Tomkins may have started off on the wrong foot, but these two Frisbee-loving, self-proclaimed “geography nerds” quickly realized that they had more in common than not. We sat down with these two to discuss breast implants, the blue monkeys, and why Doty is way cooler than you think.So, how did you guys first meet?

JS: We were in the same first-year class. It was Human Geography and Global Issues with the one and only, professor Bill Mosley, or B “Mose” as we call him.
CT: It got us both really interested in geography. It was the beginning.

What is it about geography that appeals to you so much?

JS: Well, we really like to play Sim City; it got us both into urban geography.

CT: We plan out cities based on what we learn in class. We definitely talk about it outside of class. I didn’t really want to admit that we are geography nerds.
JS: We definitely are, but a shout out must be given to the professors of the department. It’s such a solid core and they are the best.

CT: Plus, we are generally smarter than other kids

Were you friends immediately upon meeting, then?

JS: Not at all. We didn’t like each other at first.

CT: You didn’t like me? I knew that I didn’t like you, but I never realized you didn’t like me. I remember thinking that it would be really ironic if we became best friends.

What were your first impressions of one another?

CT: I thought Smuckers looked like a cocky bastard.
JS: Yeah, I thought Charles was a player. Our first-year class went on a bus tour of the Twin Cities and this girl in our class fell asleep for the whole thing on Charles’ shoulder. I remember thinking, “what a player.” But that only lasted for like two days. It was before we had even talked to each other.

CT: Yeah, once we talked it was all good. We quickly bonded over our love of geography.

JS: We also lived on Doty 3 together, so there was a lot we had in common.

How was Doty? Did you enjoy living on a same-sex floor?

CT: Doty 3 was amazing, I can’t even describe it. I have some of my best memories from that time. People used to come up to us and say, “it sucks to be you, you live with all boys,” but they didn’t know what it was all about.
JS: It was awesome. We got along really well. And there were no female distractions.

CT: Yeah, there was definitely a lot of male bonding. We formed solidarity about how sober and lame the rest of the floors in the dorm were. We would just make fun of everyone and get wasted together.
JS: Yeah, plus our RA hated Charles, so that created a lot of funny incidents.

CT: I was put on probation, and then I never got written up again after that year. What does that say? Our RA just wanted to “do his job” and that didn’t really work for me. I needed someone who would let stuff slide.

You both play Frisbee. How would you say that it compares to other club teams at Mac?

JS: Well, I’m pretty sure we have the most fun.

CT: I think we employ a healthy motto for our team in that we don’t prioritize winning over the more important goal of partying.

JS: We just all really love each other and a lot of blue monkey bonding.

CT: Everyone is really laid back. A majority of my close friendships formed there. There is just a platonic man love.
JS: Everyone is pretty awesome. If you play Frisbee, I will love you unconditionally.

The Frisbee team had a reputation for throwing some wild parties.

CT: Yeah, we are all about the parties. Everyone is welcome, even if they don’t drink. We like to make our parties exclusively Frisbee. We can get together and talk about the sport.
JS: Yeah, we do a lot of cool shit like beer pong hat tournaments. We have our fine liquor party coming up. Everyone buys really nice booze and we all sit around like classy men. We are quite a close team.

CT: Yep, and then we wake up with no hangover.

Can you tell us a little about your rivalry with the rugby team?

JS: It started last year because I was the captain of the Frisbee team, and my roommate Curran Hughes was the party captain of the rugby team. There was a lot of shit talking about which team could drink more beer. So we had a keg race, which didn’t end so well. Lots of guys drinking beer as fast as they can…it doesn’t generally end well.
CT: The night ended with a lot puke on the lawn, which got covered in snow and discovered two months later. It was gross.

JS: This year we toned it down to the Beer Olympics. We played drinking games and won the majority of them. We absolutely won the tournament, hands down, thus making us the premier partying club sports team at Mac.

CT: That’s an uncontested fact. Print that.

Through prowling Facebook we found an interesting group entitled, “The Charles Tompkins Boob Fund.” What’s that all about?

JS: That’s an interesting story, actually. Every year the Frisbee team goes on spring break together to this little island off the coast of Savannah, Ga. While we were playing a game, Charles slammed into this huge man, I mean, he was a beast of a guy. He ended up breaking some ribs and biting off part of his tongue. It was pretty nasty.

CT: They ended up giving some pretty heavy painkillers. One night when I was real out of it, I decided that I was really jealous of women because they have boobs. And boobs are nice. It kind of spiraled out of control from there. A fund was established, but no one has contributed yet.

JS: Well, I am not going to pay for your boobs.

After being her for four years, what are some overall impressions of Macalester?

JS: I guess what I have realized lately is that the school has changed a lot in the past four years. I?think that although we seem to be moving in the right direction for success, everyone is becoming more similar. I mean what happened to Pirate Guy? Or Running Boy? But I do love this place.

CT: It has been a great ride, but I?think Cafe Mac is underrated.

Finally, we have to ask, what is your favorite type of jam?

JS: Smuckers strawberry preserves. I get really upset when people tell me they don’t like it. It must have to do with my red hair?