GAMC Lobby Day for MPIRG

By Stephanie Enwright

General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC) has been an integral part of Minnesota’s welfare system for the past 35 years. GAMC covers 35,000 single adults who make less than $8,123 per year; a high percentage of them are homeless, physically disabled, or mentally ill. In June 2009, Governor Tim Pawlenty cut funding for GAMC, allowing it to expire on April 1, 2010. On that day, thousands of Minnesotans who rely on GAMC will either transition to MinnesotaCare, another program with higher premiums and co-pays that is expected to run out of funding within the next year, or be left without any coverage left at all.A situation in which Minnesota’s poorest citizens are unable to obtain the doctor visits, procedures, and medication they need is unacceptable. As Minnesota residents and Macalester students, we are able to take a stand on this crucial issue during the current legislative session by joining MPIRG’s fight to save GAMC.

On Wednesday, February 24, MPIRG is holding a lobby day at the state capitol from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. This is a unique opportunity to speak with your representatives about the issues you care about and make a difference for thousands of low-income Minnesotans. Just our physical presence at the state capitol is a powerful statement to legislators and Gov. Tim Pawlenty that their constituents care about this issue and are willing to fight for it.

MPIRG is organizing trips on the #84 North and #94 East to the capitol on Feb. 24. From 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., there will be trainings on how to communicate with your legislators, followed by meetings with local representatives. Even if you can only attend for part of the day, any involvement you can contribute is critical. If you are interested in attending or would like more information, e-mail mpirg@macalester. edu with “GAMC Lobby Day” in the subject line.

Access to health care is a critical human rights issue. Make a difference on Feb. 24.

Stephanie Enwright ’12