Frisbee teams gear up for spring break in Georgia (Women's)

By Emily Dunn

The self-proclaimed Purse Snatchers womenƒ?TMs ultimate team will start their season down in Georgia over Spring Break. Photo by Phil Chen.As the weather gets warmer, women’s club frisbee is excited to get outside. After losing a few valuable players during their fall season to study abroad, the team is looking forward to their upcoming spring season. The spring not only brings the annual hope of every team for a successful season, but real promise in the form of a record number of women who are going out for frisbee. For Spring Break the women’s and men’s teams are traveling to Georgia for a tournament. This year 21 people signed up to go as opposed to only 10 last year.

During the off-season the team has been practicing two times a week and hopes to be outside after Spring Break. “We have begun to make practices more intense, which is great because it’s totally our call,” co-captain Elena Evans ’07 said. The season will include Regionals in Northfield, Sectionals, the Mac Tommy Cup, and a match at Luther. The Mac Tommy Cup is a match played seasonally against St. Thomas, which the Tommies won this past fall by one point after a great comeback by Mac.

“I am really excited about the season because we have the right combination of players. We have a strong group of returners with a lot of experience and new players are very athletic and catching on very quickly to the game. We have had more women come to our early season indoor practices so far than we have had in my Macalester memory,” Jennie Akerstrom ’06 said.

Excited new first-years also bring hope to the team. “There are tons of new freshman who have been doing a lot of recruiting, we are going to be a powerhouse,” Evans said.

“I improved a lot over the fall and I’m really excited for our spring season, there are many new and talented players,” Hannah Pallmeyer ’09 said.
Improving the women’s frisbee program at Macalester in order to compete with the better funded clubs at Carleton and St. Olaf is important to the team. “This is a very exciting year, because if we build on what we have, Macalester could have a very strong women’s frisbee program in the next couple years, not just a team. We have been working with a competitive [nationals level] women’s club team from the Twin Cities called Bait. They are helping us to build the skills of the players, hoping to build the pool of competitive women ultimate players in the Twin Cities,” Akerstrom said.
Another aspect of women’s frisbee that attracts many players is the team atmosphere and student run schedule. “The best part of frisbee is that it is run by students for students. We choose how intense our practices are and what we want to accomplish,” Evans said.

“The reason I stayed with it is because of the team dynamic and how comfortable I feel with the women,” Julia Quanrud ’09 said.
The team shares nothing but high hopes and positive attitudes about their upcoming season. “Frisbee is a fun and growing sport, anyone can come and join!” Evans said. Your first chance to see the Purse Snatchers in action is after spring break.