Founders' Day offers music, food and fun

By Sonam Kindy

Last Friday from 8:30p.m. to 12:30a.m. Founders’ Day, “A Gala Celebration of Macalester’s History” took place in the Campus Center. The event offered an array of musical performances, foods and alcoholic beverages for those old enough to indulge themselves. Throughout the night, student music groups including the Sirens, Trads, Scotch Tape and the African Music Ensemble performed to an enthusiastic crowd. Salsa del Sol, whose lead is a 1990 Macalester alum, played throughout the rest of the evening.

At 9:30p.m., Scottish pipers brought in Macalester’s anniversary cake, an elaborate cake that looked good and tasted even better.

Although the night offered current Mac students the chance to mingle with teachers, staff, and alums, Macalester’s founding fathers and mothers were also “present.” Students and staff memorialized Mac greats by donning full costumes of the founders.

Despite the event only lasting a few hours, months of preparation went into planning the event. Founder’s Day, in its fifth year of celebration, has been managed annually by Erlene Lagerquist, manager of special events.

“This year’s Founders’ Day was a huge success, the best ever. The event went really well,” Laqerquist said. “The most important goal was for the students to have fun.”

And have fun students did.

“Founders’ Day was nice and well planned,” said Estela Shabani ’11. “The music was fantastic. The whole event was a little hectic but that’s expected as it’s a celebration for all of Macalester.”

Although Lagerquist will retire in December, Founder’s Day, the event she helped to create, will remain as Macalester continues to remember its past and look towards its future.