Football picks up big win in sub freezing conditions

By Patrick Murphy

While most Mac students took shelter from the frigid conditions last weekend, the football team trekked north to Duluth where temperatures were in the mid-20’s, or as coach Jennison likes to say, “Mac football weather.” The team certainly played like it. The cold didn’t slow the team down at all in their 35-13 victory over St. Scholastica, although at least two players contracted pneumonia as a result of the cold.As the mercury in the thermometers dropped, the Scots only got tougher. The defense set the tone for the game, picking off six of the Saints’ throws. Linebacker Josh Boomgaarden ’10 and cornerback Aaron Gallegos ’13 led the way with two interceptions apiece. Gallegos took an interception 45 yards for a Mac touchdown in the second quarter. Scholastica scored on a pick-six of their own in the first quarter, but the Mac defense held down the Saints’ offense until they got a two-yard touchdown run with less than five minutes to play.

Boomgaarden also led the team in tackles with ten in the game. Middle linebacker Nate Sands ’12 followed with six tackles as well as a pass breakup and a quarterback hurry.

Outside linebacker Patrick Piepkorn ’12 had five tackles, which was especially impressive considering that he was playing sick and came down with pneumonia after the game.

“It was definitely worth getting sick to help the team get the win,” Piepkorn said.

Though offensive conditions were tough, the Scots were resilient. Running back Jake McDonnell ’10 led the ground attack with 85 yards rushing and a pair of touchdowns. Proving to be a dual threat, quarterback Trevor Miehe ’11 burned the Saints both on the ground and through the air, running for 62 yards, and throwing for 104 yards and a pair of touchdowns. John Elliot ’11 led the receiving corps with five catches for 55 yards and a touchdown. Fellow wideout, Kevin Finnegan ’11, had four catches for 43 yards and a score of his own.

Coming into this year, the goal was to have a winning season, but lacking consistency at times, the team has struggled to a 2-4 record. The team is taking the season one game at a time, and with the University of Chicago (2-2) coming to town this Saturday, the Scots will be looking to win back-to-back games.