Featured Org of the Week: Maction

By Julia Lee Quanrud

With the annual Trick-or-Treat for canned goods arriving, The Mac Weekly decided to find out what Maction, a service-based student or and one of the food drive co-sponsors, was up to.The Mac Weekly: What is Maction?

Melissa DeJonckheere ’09: Maction is a student organization that is based around volunteering. We bring one-time volunteer events to campus so that students can get involved with the community without having to travel anywhere.

TMW: What is the history of Maction?

MDJ: Maction essentially used to be the Civic Engagement Center. However, once the CEC came into existence, we became a student organization that began to focus on one-time volunteering events.

TMW: What does Maction do?

MDJ: Maction members host volunteering events on campus. We sponsor events such as Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods, the clothing drive for Hunger and Homelessness Month and International Kids’ Fest. Smaller activities include baking cookies for the Aliveness Project, which promotes HIV/AIDS awareness and activism, and the Double Deal Auction. This year we will also start going out into the community. For instance, during Hunger and Homelessness month we will be volunteering at a local soup kitchen.

TMW: How did you become involved with Maction?

MDJ: I became a member and co-leader of Maction during my sophomore year. I wanted to be a part of a volunteer organization and I just fell into a leadership position.

TMW: How many students are involved with Maction?

MDJ: We have about seventy members. Events such as Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods and International Kids’ Fest usually involve more students, most of whom are not members.

TMW: What is Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods?

MDJ: This is our third year hosting Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods. We decided to. focus on giving to the community. Basically students can go into the neighborhood (either individually or in groups) and collect canned goods and non-perishable items from the Mac-Groveland area. We publicize the event in the local newspaper first, and the houses usually have the items (and candy!) ready by the door. Once the items are collected, they will need to be dropped off at the bottom floor of the Campus Center. There will be snacks and prizes for returning groups. Additionally, the top three groups that collect the most items will receive prizes- the top prize is worth $100.00. Last year we collected over 500 pounds of food. Our goal is always to double the participation and the results.

Shelle Shimizu ’10, Economic Justice Issue-Based Coordinator for the CEC also noted that students from the University of Minnesota, Hamline, Concordia and St. Kate’s will be collecting cans in their neighborhoods for local homeless shelters. Maction and the CEC hope the event becomes an annual fixture that will continue to grow.