Fattening Fast without the Fieldhouse?

Easy Ways to Ward off the Pounds Lose the booze! Liquid calories add up. If this isn’t a viable option for your weekends at college, at least opt for light beers and low-cal mixers.

Make it skim! If you can’t live without your morning cappuccino, compromise by choosing skim milk and no whipped cream.

Snack Smart! In need of a late night snack? Vending machines offer a (seemingly) perfect solution: convenient, but full of high-calorie foods. Be careful not to develop a habit of choosing fatty candy bars.

Get Active! Between reading 400-page novels and writing 40-page papers, exercise becomes a luxury for many students. Get into the habit of setting aside 30 minutes a day to do something physical. The activity will help your mind in addition to your body. Can’t find 30 minutes of free time? Break up your day with three 10-minute walks or short bike rides.

Get more sleep! Not getting enough sleep can cause excess stress, which, for many people, fuels overeating. To combat stress, get into a regular sleep habit and avoid caffeine at night. In other words, don’t study too hard.

Willing to spend a few bucks?

Here are some gyms to check out without
venturing too far from campus.

Sweatshop Fitness Center
171 Snelling Ave N
St Paul, MN 55104
(651) 646-8418
Distance from Campus: 0.49 miles (3-minute bus ride)

Locally-owned and operated by a Mac alum, this fitness club has all the equipment and expertise you’d find at more expensive chain clubs. With a clientele that includes first-time gym-goers to professional trainees, local Saint Paul residents to students from local colleges, everyone is welcome. Personal fitness instructors, Pilates classes, and wellness programs are offered.

Bally Total Fitness
1166 University Ave W
St Paul, MN 55104
(651) 644-2444
Distance from Campus: 1.97 miles (15-minute bus ride)

A workout warehouse where those with muscles go to get bigger and the rest of us get inspired…or depressed. This chain of workout facilities offers a variety of services including personal training gurus, nutritional supplements, and group exercise classes.

Curves
370 Snelling Ave S
St Paul, MN 55105
(651) 695-0600
Distance from Campus: 0.72 miles (2-minute bus ride)

Created exclusively for women, Curves offers a 30-minute circuit exercise session that utilizes hydraulic resistance machines. Even though you’re unlikely to encounter anyone under age 40, this place is good for those who are just beginning their fitness careers.

Did you know . . .

According to the Collegian Online, first-year college students gain an average of 4.2 pounds during their first three months of school. A student who eats 145 calories more than he or she burns per day can gain 15 pounds of fat in just a year.

Run to the River

Need a break from po-mo and Marxist theory? Tired of the compact fluorescent lights in Olin-Rice? If this is you, grab a friend and run to the woods, or rather, the river. Approximately 1.4 miles from Macalester’s campus, a hike along the high-priced houses on Summit Avenue give way to a small park and bluff overlooking the Mississippi River.