EXHIBIT// Ayacucho: The Times of Danger

“No one cares about our village, no journalists go there! To whom can we complain about the violence that Sarhuinos have suffered? There are no human rights for us! At least with our paintings we bear witness to what has happened in our community.” Primitivo Evanán, Asociación de Artistas Populares de Sarhua “Art has been used extensively as a means to bear witness to traumatic experiences of war and to demand justice and solidarity. In Peru, the Ayacuchan arts of ‘the times of danger’ appear in the 1980s and the 1990s with their testimonial voices to speak out against the violence of the Maoist insurgency of Sendero Luminoso or Shining Path and the Peruvian armed forces. Ayacucho: The Times of Danger brings together the artwork of Andean painters, weavers and retablo artists whose traditional aesthetics depict modern tragedies. The colorful images of these arts can make the viewer’s initial encounter with painful events less shocking yet still inevitable. Allured into contemplating the deceivingly picturesque, the viewer is almost immediately confronted with the dissonant experience of war.” Description from the curator, Olga González’ written commentary on the exhibit, Ayacucho: The Times of Danger Gallery Days and Hours Monday-Friday 10:00-16:00 Thursdays 10:00-20:00 Saturdays & Sundays 12:00-16:00 The exhibit will be in the Law Warschaw gallery until December 16. refresh –>