Entenza, Watters join High Winds board

By Mac Weekly Staff

The college has appointed Matt Entenza ’83 and Ellen Watters ’83 as trustees of Macalester’s High Winds Fund, fund director Tom Welna ’86 said Tuesday.

Entenza, currently the Democratic minority leader in the Minnesota State House, and Watters, Senior Vice President of the St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce, replace retiring trustees James Gardner and Ted Weyerhaeuser.

“Given what we do, both are very well qualified,” Welna said, citing the appointees’ professional experience and their familiarity with the surrounding neighborhood. “Both Ellen and Matt bring lots of talents.”

The trustees, who also include non-profit executive Susan Haigh ’73 and local business leader Stephen Wellington, had their first meeting last Wednesday, Welna said. The board will meet two other times this academic year.

The High Winds Fund is Macalester’s community-relations office. The fund helps new faculty and staff to relocate to the area. It was active recently in bringing the HOURCAR car-sharing service to the neighborhood. The fund also directed efforts in 2003 to build medians on Grand Ave. and worked to place retail businesses, like Patagonia and Breadsmith, in Macalester-owned property.

Entenza and Watters, who were formally nominated by President Brian Rosenberg, step into their positions during the High Winds Fund’s 50th year. An event on Nov. 6 featuring former Boston Globe reporter Anthony Flint will mark the occasion.

Entenza steps into the position as he prepares to put a hold on his political career. He dropped a troubled campaign for Attorney General this summer. His term as state representative ends in January, as he is ineligible to run for reelection.

MATTHEW STONE