Editorial: Bring on the Gala

By Mac Weekly Staff

This Friday, March 3rd, Macalester will celebrate its history with the Super Bowl of collegiate festivity: Founder’s Day. While last year’s Founder’s Day Gala was criticized for its opulence in the wake of the switch to Need-Aware, most visibly by the student group Billionaires Against Need-Blind, this year we only have one thing to say: bring it on.
Bring on the extravagance. Never have so many showered and groomed Macalester students, staff, faculty and alumni congregated in one space. It’s nice to pretend, for one night, that we go to one of those nice East Coast schools, the ones that waitlisted half the first-year class.

Bring on the merriment. Yes, we will drink before, during and after the Founder’s Day Gala, but what matters is that part of this will be bankrolled by Macalester, and will involve our oft-sober professors. Tuition is rising, and OCS still doesn’t work, but our beloved College will never go wrong with subsidized inebriation.
Bring on the arrogance. Yes, we will suspend our self-flagellating, two-bit postmodern mores for four hours of being happy that we belong to a good, nay, great institution, with a history worth celebrating. We will admit that Macalester is wonderful, that we are lucky to be here. We’ll even—secretly—feel validated by college ranking guides.
Sure, Mac has issues. Res Life is in disarray, no one is happy about multiculturalism, and what about that MULCH garden? Sure, our admissions policies are problematic, this newspaper is problematic, everything in the whole entire world is problematic. All we’re saying is: can we wait until Saturday morning to talk about it?
Happy Founder’s Day.