Defend Financial Aid in MN

By Stephen Ark

Last week Scott McMahon, the legislative strategist of the Minnesota Private College Council, and Macalester’s Director of Financial Aid Brian Lindeman spoke to a crowded room at Davis Court about how financial aid is a public policy issue — and what we can do about it. Since Minnesota faces a significant budget deficit, state legislators will be making difficult budget decisions that may include reducing funding to the State Grant Program. For the 2011-2012 school year, 102 Macalester students received $394,200 in aid from the Minnesota State Grant program. That’s about one in twenty of us. This critical source of aid helps Macalester stretch its financial aid budget and enroll an economically diverse student body. We’d be a different school without it. Macalester joins other private colleges including Carleton, St. Thomas and St. Olaf to meet with legislators at the MN state capitol each spring. Whether you receive the MN State Grant, know someone who receives the State Grant, or simply believe that elected officials should support financial aid rather than oppose it, we want your help. Help us defend financial aid (and score a free lunch) on Thursday, March 22, from 9:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Transportation will be provided. Provost Kathy Murray has asked faculty to excuse students from class to participate in the Day at the Capitol. Meeting face-to-face with legislators is the best way for students to support private colleges and demonstrate the value of the State Grant Program. Please join us on March 22. For more information or to sign up for the Day at the Capitol, visit http://bit.ly/macatcap, or contact [email protected] Stephen Ark is a Public Policy Issue Based Organizer at the Civic Engagement Center refresh –>