Crew Regatta Results

By Emir Berganovic

The Macalester Crew team competed in four regattas this fall. The following is a summary of top performances in each regatta from the beginning of the season. Varsity went alone to Des Moines for the Head of the Des Moines and the mixed eight took 1st place out of 4, defeating St. Cloud State, Iowa State and Mizzou, as well as earning the coveted Des Moines Cup. The men’s four placed 4th out of 15, defeating Wheaton College, St. Johns/St. Bens College, Creighton University, Universities of Iowa and Nebraska, among others.

The Head of the Miss in Minneapolis was highlighted by a first place finish by the men’s novice four over the University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis Rowing Club, and the Minnesota Boat Club. The varsity men’s four took 2nd place, beating the Mendota Rowing Club and Minneapolis Rowing Club.

The Head of the Rock in Rockford, Illinois included many division one schools, but the varsity mixed four managed a second place finish over Iowa State, Mizzou and Augustana University. Both the women’s varsity and novice fours came in mid-pack, placing 17th out of 30 and 6th out of 12, respectively. The varsity women came ahead of the University of Chicago, University of St. Thomas (B boat), Purdue University, and Marquette University, to name a few.

The North Star Challenge in Minneapolis was highlighted by the women’s performances. The varsity women’s four earned 2nd out of 8 place, just 20 seconds behind the University of St. Thomas A boat, and ahead of UST B boat, Lawrence University and Michigan Tech. The novice women’s eight placed 2nd out of 5, beating UST, St. Olaf, and the University of Minnesota E boat. The varsity mixed 8 came in 2nd to UST, but ahead of 5 other boats.

For more information, including detailed race results and photos, please visit www.macalester.edu/crew.