Club sports seasons reach close as spring buds start to open

Ultimate FrisbeeIt’s not that surprising that frisbee has been one of the more popular activities this past semester amongst our collegiate, liberal artsy student body. Both the Macalester men’s and women’s ultimate frisbee teams have almost completed their seasons, seasons in which both teams have had ups and downs as far as their wins and losses have gone. However, highlights include, for the men, going 3-3 at regionals, and for the women, scoring two points on the University of Wisconsin-Madison team, more than any other team scored on them on the same day.

“Generally, we’ve had a good season,” Sarah van Etten ’10 said. “We’ve improved a lot collectively, which our win-loss record might not reflect.”

For the men, the team improved as the season progressed.

“We played much better 2nd semester once we got out juniors back from abroad,” William Hughes ’12 said.

Come see the Mac-Tommie Cup, hosted by Macalester, this afternoon at 4:45.

– Jack Wickham

Crew

The Macalester College crew team finished up another successful sprint season this past Saturday with an excellent performance at the Husky Sprints in St. Cloud. The graduating varsity rowers went out in style, as the varsity boats won every varsity race of the regatta: men’s, women’s and mixed 2-kilometer and 500-meter sprints.

The juniors returning from their study abroad experiences rounded out a varsity team with five graduating seniors. The novices proved they were ready to step up and fill the shoes of the departing seniors though, taking first in the mixed 500-meter sprint, and second in the mixed 2-kilometer race.

The Omaha regatta was another success story for the varsity men as they placed third in the lightweight 2k and 5th out of 18 in the collegiate 2k ahead of Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas Sate and St. Thomas B.

These wins are especially heartening as the high water flow prevented the team from practicing on the river until a week before the first regatta, drastically shortening the length of the season.

The Macalester crew team welcomes all new rowers; if you are interested email Anne Brown at [email protected] or visit the crew website at www.macalester.edu/crew for more information.

– Catie Glatz

Lacrosse

As the year winds down, Macalester women’s lacrosse is wrapping up the semester with the purchase of brand new goals and a few final practices.

“We practice twice a week, and now that it’s warm out we practice outside on the turf,” team captain Anne Brown ’10 said.

The lacrosse team flourished this year with several new recruits, including first years Erika Bisbocci, Susanne Murphy, Olivia Posner and Mara Robertson. Other team members, with varying levels of experience, included Brown, Jordan Eckstein ’11, Charlotte Fagan ’11, Nika Seblova ’11, Kate Vermann ’11, and Mira Kohl ’10. The team is currently coached by Heather Brick.

While not a member of the area lacrosse league due to its small size, the team played several scrimmages this spring, even traveling to Northfield to play Carleton. The team hopes to join the league next spring.

“All the other schools have lacrosse teams, so there are a lot of potential opponents,” Brown said. “Mac is the last school in the area to get a team.

Statistics indicate that when the team does join the league, they will make a good showing. The team has had a significant winning streak this spring.

“Once we enter the league, we will be competitive,” Fagan said. “I think we have a bright future and a strong team.”

The last scrimmage of the season for women’s lacrosse, against Hamline University, took place this past Thursday. Scores were not available as of press time.

– Caitlin Opperman

Women’s Rugby

If you haven’t noticed the women’s rugby team this semester, perhaps you haven’t been up early enough.

The team started practicing in the field house in February, holding practices at 6:45 a.m. on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Although the team is now practicing outdoors, it still practices at 6:45 a.m.

The team has struggled to field a full team during the season, but they have been able to combine with River Falls on occasion, a procedure called “whoring” in rugby terms, to play some matches. Last weekend they whored with River Falls to play against Gustavus, and earlier in the season they combined with River Falls and St. Olaf to take on Carleton.

Tomorrow the team will play in the Mosquito Madness Tournament in Eagan to round out the season. They are scheduled to play three matches on the day.

The team will be losing several seniors this year and will also face problems with a number of the players studying abroad next year. The focus for the team next semester will be on recruitment to compensate for this.

– Daniel Kerwin

Men’s Rugby

In a country where football is viewed as many to be the most violent sport, there is a sport that flies under the radar. Rugby is at least as violent, if not more violent than football, and it is played without pads.

The Macalester men’s rugby team has a 1-3 record this year after a big 15-7 win against rival Carleton last weekend. The Scots lost their first three games to St. Olaf, St. Thomas, and Carleton by the slimmest of margins. The Scots have a game at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow against the Minneapolis Mayhem, a gay men’s team.

– Pat Murphy