Board meeting cancelled

By Veronique Bergeron

The Board of Trustees meeting that was initially scheduled for this afternoon was cancelled on Wednesday due to concerns regarding the forecasted snowstorm that hit St. Paul yesterday.

According to Dean of Students Laurie Hamre, board members were alerted via e-mail that the meeting would be cancelled early on Wednesday afternoon. Hamre said that Northwest Airlines made an announcement on that same day discouraging travelers from attempting to fly into Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport.
“Trustees come from all over the United States and there was concern that some might run into difficult travel conditions,” Hamre said in an e-mail to the Mac Weekly.

According to President Brian Rosenberg, the trustees will convene briefly on Friday via conference call to approve the 2007-2008 budget. All other items on the agenda for the meeting will be moved to the board’s next meeting on May 11.
According to Doug Stone, Director of College Relations, the cancellation is unprecedented. In his 14-year tenure at the college, Stone remarked that he has never seen a board meeting cancelled.
The Alumni Board meeting scheduled for today was also cancelled, as well as the dinner celebrating the retirement of Alexander G. Hill ’57, a Macalester alum and staff member for approximately 40 years.