Best Valentine's Day films for singles, couples and everyone in between

By Peter Walters, Tatiana Craine

Titanic”I’ll never let go, Jack. I’ll never let go.” PLUNK. Alright, now if that’s love then I don’t know what the big deal is. I’m sure Hallmark wants you to believe otherwise, and, odds are they’ve already made a card out of Rose ‘s (Kate Winslet) parting words to her beau. Kill some time on Monday with this three-hour-long 1997 cult phenomenon and distract yourself by pondering why it earned each of its 11 Academy Awards. Follow the classic tale of the sheltered rich girl who falls in love with the outgoing commoner as they explore the nooks and crannies of the ship that can’t sink. Memorable moments include: the Irish jig on the table scene, the Model T sex scene, and the random yoga in the wind on the front of the boat scene among others.

Brokeback Mountain

“I wish I knew how to quit you.” Really, I do wish I knew how to quit loving this movie. Pretty much everyone knows that infamous line uttered by Jake Gyllenhaal to Heath Ledger-pop culture vultures have turned those words into corny fluff, but they get at the heart of the characters’ deep-seated feelings for one another in the film. If you’re in the most for something a little more cerebral, a little heavier and a little more Heath (or Jake) for V-Day, then go for “Brokeback Mountain.” Based off of Annie Proulx’s short story, the movie follows Ennis (Ledger) and Jack (Jake) as they struggle coming to terms with their sexuality in a very hostile social environment.

The Way We Were

A classic, this Sydney Pollack film traces the lives of an unlikely couple. Barbra Streisand plays the part of a radical Jewish political activist alongside Robert Redford as a waspy carefree writer. The two eventually marry and live happily ever after. after they get divorced. The story highlights the importance of staying true to your ideals, even if they might threaten your financial success. So this Valentine’s Day, check out “The Way We Were” before you take your ideals to the coffee shop and generously buy them that caramel macchiato they’re always begging of you.

Serendipity

Have you ever wondered what “Final Destination” would be like without someone dying every few minutes? For the follower of fate, this film provides the satisfaction of coincidental encounters. Jonathan Trager (John Cusack) and Sara Thomas (Kate Beckinsale) share a magical night together in New York City before losing touch for seven years. On their night together in New York, they write their names and phone numbers down on a five dollar bill and a copy of “Love in the Time of Cholera.” They agree that if the bill or the book come back to them then they are meant to be. The pair both get engaged to other people as the years pass, but curiosity keeps each of them in the other’s mind. Observers of Who-Gives-a-What-About-Valentine’s-Day should note that there is no romantic partner required to write your name and number on a greenback and see if it comes back your way.

Moulin Rouge

If you’ve decided to be your own valentine this February 14th, what better way to love yourself than to laugh at the anguish of tragic lovers? Loverboy poet Christian (Ewan McGregor) kindles a dangerous affection for can-can dancer and courtesan Satine (Nicole Kidman) after she seduces him, mistaking him for the wealthy duke she was supposed to be entertaining. Things heat up between the lovers as the film score interjects plenty of adapted 20th century pop anthems. Soon, their love becomes forbidden, a classic problem for hopeless romantics. If the drama doesn’t cut it for you, you can stroke your ego knowing that you probably won’t be dying in your own arms this Valentine’s Day.

500 Days of Summer

This is another entry in the recent stream of Joseph Gordon-Levitt greased-back-hair movies. The film follows the “relationship” between Tom Hansen (Levitt) and his object of obsession, Summer Finn (Zooey Deschanel). This romantic comedy has some real downer moments, making you wish Levitt’s character could just get over his temptress and move on. “500 Days of Summer” provides some good laughs when it counts, and delivers a satisfying ending, reinforcing the important moral that when one love fails, you should blindly allow yourself to end up in a slightly different incarnation of the same thing.

Bridget Jones’s Diary

Based off of the hilarious novel by Helen Fielding, “Bridget Jones’s Diary” follows one Bridget as she navigates her year through a slew of self-betterment promises (smoke less! drink less! eat less!), family drama (her mother runs off with a shopping network oompa-loompa) and, of course, relationship drama. Vying for her affections are Daniel Cleaver, her boss, and Mark Darcy, an old childhood acquaintance. Between the hilarious messages sent back and forth between Bridget and Daniel (“Message to Jones – Is skirt off sick?”) to a fiasco involving a gigantic pair of granny panties, this film very loosely based on Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” is the perfect movie for the Anglophile in your life. Cheers!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Would you really want to forget the person you love if things got bad? “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” brings that age-old question to the table with a sc-fi twist. The film follows Joel (Jim Carey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet) through their time-warped, mind-blowing journey through love and loss while they erase each other from their respective minds and consequently realize that while they lose the painful memories, they part with the good ones, too. This unconventional romance shows that love isn’t always nice, and it’s not always easy-but it’s real, gritty and truly unforgettable. One of the best films about relationships (and the best film ever, in your humble writer’s opinion), “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” needs to be on your list of Valentine’s Day movies to see whether you’re single or not.