Basement Lairs: Radio Station

By Shasta Webb

Walking through the courtyard between Doty and Wallace, you’ve probably heard a soft stream of music flowing through the probably chilly air. It might be the newest filthy dub step song, or notes from a classic musical, or a heart-wrenching 80’s ballad, but no matter what it is, it contributes to the awesomeness of Macalester College Radio.

Through a rusting blue door, and down a set of stairs into a consistently over-heated hallway is where all the WMCN magic happens. Every day, multiple Macalester students take their turn behind the broadcasting mic, sharing some of their favorite musical and literary compilations.

The radio station studio is a small, cozy room covered floor to ceiling by old vinyl records, random assortments of promotional stickers and small, penciled graffiti. Two huge speakers blast whatever the host is playing into the acoustically savvy room, creating the perfect location to space out to good music. Shelves of CDs create a colorful atmosphere and multiple swiveling chairs add to the comfort of this basement lair.
Most of the WMCN shows are devoted to music from various decades and genres; indie music, classic rock, world music, punk, 60’s French rock, folk and far more.
Hank Hansen ’13 hosts Environmental Dynamix, a show featuring a wide range of new, up-and-coming artists from independent labels, while Harry Kent ’13 provides two hours of pure funk in his show Minnesoulda. In Laura Eash’s show, A Real Nice Clambake, musical fans can hear their favorite Broadway tunes. Listeners can get a healthy dose of “college pop” with Professor Geoff Gorham’s show, Compendium Musicae.
WMCN isn’t limited to music though; some students choose to express themselves using spoken work. Mollie Hudson ’12 and Sarah Mueller ’12 host Sexytime, a show devoted to discussing “the more taboo issues of sex on the Macalester campus,” according to the WMCN website.
Sarah Vig hosts a weekly poetry show including guest poets from Mac and around the Twin Cities, while Jenny Wollner ’13 and Anna Roberds ’13 provide soothing bedtimes stories every Sunday night.

WMCN provides the perfect place to get in touch with your inner musical and literary self. Check it out on the radio at 91.7 FM or online at macalester.com/WMCN.
A complete schdule of shows is available on the web site. Listeners can make requests by calling 651-696-6312.