Baseball Roundup

Macalester baseball contended with five opponents and the weather during its spring trip to Phoenix, Arizona last week. After rains canceled the Scotsƒ?TM first three games, the team picked up two wins and three losses over the break. ƒ?oeIƒ?TMd say weƒ?TMre pretty happy with the result,ƒ?? shortstop Chris Papalia ƒ?TM07 said. ƒ?oeOur infield played good D, our pitchers did a good job throwing strikes and our hitters did a good job manufacturing runs.ƒ??

The Scots offense was certainly a highlight of the trip as Macalesterƒ?TMs infield, made up of Papalia, Adam Wedwick ƒ?TM07, Andrew Percival ƒ?TM06 and Kier Palmer-Klein ƒ?TM06 combined to hit above .400 for the trip.

Wedwick continued to be Macƒ?TMs hottest hitter on the season knocking in nine RBIƒ?TMs and scoring nine runs. To give an accurate idea of how hot heƒ?TMs been, Wedwick batted a remarkable .571 for the tournament, and actually lowered his average on the season.

Despite solid run support in almost every game and nine double plays turned by the defense the Scotƒ?TMs pitching had trouble keeping runners off the bases. Mac gave up 37 runs in five games and its three loses were each by five runs or more.

Nevertheless, Macƒ?TMs 11-4 victory against Marian College of Wisconsin and 13-2 victory against Valley City State College of North Dakota gave the Scots a 6-4-1 overall record after the break.

The Scots will begin MIAC play at the beginning of April.