Bad weather leaves Scots high and dry

By Daniel Kerwin

Softball home opener postponed until April 6The softball team has a brand new field to play on, but is still waiting to play its first game on it.

The team was scheduled to play its home opener against St. Olaf last Saturday, but the game was canceled a few days in advance due to frigid temperatures. It is a conference rule that a game must be postponed if temperatures are below 40 F.

The team will now be having its home opener this Monday, a doubleheader against Carleton. However, the forecast is calling for a temperature of 39 F and a few snow showers, so there is a possibility that the game will be postponed until Tuesday.

In recognition of the inaugural games on the new softball field, the team will be hosting various giveaways and events.

The first 50 people to show up to the first game will receive a free t-shirt with a picture of the field on it and a free Macalester softball visor. There will also be complimentary food at the game. That’s only the start of it.

The celebrations will also include the presence of the honor guard and bagpipers, and a guest singer for the national anthem. There will be a balloon takeoff at the end of the anthem. Catholic Chaplain Jim Radde will also perform a field dedication.

The festivities will be even more elaborate because Monday’s games coincide with National Student Athlete Day. The Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC) will host various contests in between the games of the doubleheader, as well as additional giveaways.

The postponement of games has been an unwelcome trend so far throughout the young season. Most recently, the team’s doubleheader against St. Thomas, which was supposed to be played Tuesday, was postponed until 4 p.m. today.

No matter when the home opener ends up happening, it will be an event well worth showing up for.

“Our field is going to be beautiful, I hope you’re able to make it out to the games,” softball Head Coach Tom Cross said.

Track meet in Atlanta canceled due to thunderstorms

The men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled to Atlanta last weekend to compete in the Emory Invitational, only to have the meet canceled due to thunderstorms. The team will not schedule any additional meets to take its place.

A few team members competed in field events on Friday, but all of Saturday’s events were canceled. The team showed up on Saturday for the event and endured four lightning delays before the whole meet was canceled. It is an NCAA rule that the competition venue must be cleared for at least 30 minutes if lightning is detected.

The trip to the warmer southerly climate wasn’t a complete waste since the team was able to perform some training exercises after the cancellation.