Arts Events Calendar

Friday, November 11th Event:

–This Friday and Saturday celebrate the Seward Arts Festival at many locations in and around the Seward district of Minneapolis. Friday features a performance called “The Art of Hip Hop,” a multi-author reading at the Seward Community Caf and “Marimba Africa” at the Blue Nile. On Saturday, discover a 30-stop art crawl and a reading at the Orfield Gallery Auditorium, just a couple of the many things to do. For a complete schedule of events and a map, visit www.sewardarts.org.

Saturday, November 12th

Music:

–Head over to the Minneapolis venue 7th Street Entry for the CD-release celebration for The Birthday Suits. In this show, most of the former band members from Sweet J.A.P. will play in honor of the duo’s debut album. Performances by Mute Era, the Divebomb Honey and Spider Fighter. 701 1st Ave N, Minneapolis . 612.332.1775. This 21+ event begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $6.

–If anyone is intrigued by the name The Bleeding Hickeys, go to the Triple Rock Social Club this Saturday to hear this band perform as an opening act in the CD-release show for The Mood Swings (along with Bridge Club). 629 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis. 612.333.7399. This 21+ event begins at 9 p.m. Tickets are $6.

Event:

–Use this day off from school to discover the Minneapolis Arab Film Festival, sponsored by Mizna. This festival runs from Friday Nov. 11 until Thursday, Nov. 17 and features feature-length films, documentaries and shorts that explore themes related the to Arab and Arab American experience. For the complete film schedule, go to http://www.mizna.org/events/filmfest2005_schedule.html. All films are screened at the Heights Theater, 3951 Central Avenue NE , Minneapolis. Single tickets are $5 for students and festival passes are $40 for students.

Sunday, November 13th

Theater:

–Catch the last night of Sophocles’ “Antigone,” performed at the Theatre de la Jeune Lune in Minneapolis and directed by Robert Rosen. Ed Huyck of Talkin’ Broadway called “Antigone,” “a tight … striking and moving production. It’s an excellent start of the 2005-2006 season for a company riding so high.” 105 North First Street, Minneapolis. Performance begins at 7 p.m. Sunday. Single tickets are $20 on Sunday ($28 on Friday and $30 on Saturday, both performances begin at 8 p.m.) with a $5 discount available for students on Friday and Sunday. Call the box office at 612.333.6200 for more information.

Visual Arts:

–For a lazy Sunday afternoon activity, head over to the Weisman Art Museum in Minneapolis to see their third annual WAM Art Expo, open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., featuring original works of art for sale from 10 local galleries. Free admission.

Monday, November 14th

Music:

–This Monday through Wednesday, the Minneapolis-based group Atmosphere will perform at First Avenue with P.O.S. and Blueprint. 701 1st Avenue N, Minneapolis. 612.332.1775. This promising act starts at 5 p.m. Monday (all ages) and 8 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday (18+). Tickets, if you can find them, are $16.

Visual Arts:

–Check out works by Macalester alumni Greg Fitz and Jake Keeler ’99 in their joint show at Augsburg College’s library. 2211 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis. 612.330.1000.

Tuesday, November 15th

Theater:

–Illusion Theater’s Fall Playreading series presents “Sand,” a new work by Trista Baldwin. 528 Hennepin Ave, Suite 704 (Hennepin Center for the Arts), Minneapolis. 612.339.4944. This free performance begins at 7 p.m.

Forum:

–The Walker Art Center hosts a forum with Allan Spear, “With God on Their Side: Bush and the Religious Right.” 1750 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. 612.375.7600. This event, moderated by Jeff Blodget, begins at 7 p.m. It is free and open to the public. For more information call 612.373.2437.

Wednesday, November 16th

Music:

–JG Everest performs tonight at the Turf Club, a fun off-campus venue that is not very difficult to reach by bus. 1601 University Ave W (at Snelling Ave), St. Paul. 651.647.0486. The doors open at 9 p.m. and JG begins at around 11 p.m. Tickets are $3.

Visual Arts:

–Check out “Print Biennial 3: Minnesota Printmaking Educators,” featuring works by faculty from Minnesota Colleges and Universities, through December 9th. This event is located at the Concordia Gallery (1371 Marshall Ave, St. Paul), which is open 9 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Thursday, November 17th

Music:

–The celebrated Congolese musician Koffi Olomide performs with his 18-piece band Quartier Latin at the Profile Music Caf in Minneapolis. Olomide’s music has been described as “blending old school Rumba and smooth keyboard melodies.” 2630 University Ave SE, Minneapolis . 612.378.2200. Performance begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $30 ($35 after 10:30 p.m.).

–Rodney Crowell, a musician who blends rock, country and gospel music to form a style of his own, performs at the Fine Line Music Caf on Thursday. 318 1st Ave N, Minneapolis. 612.335.8181. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the music begins at 8 p.m. Tickets for this 21+ event are $19 in advance and $21 at the door.

Theater:

–Head over to Bryant Lake Bowl for an early dinner and then catch their production of “When Reason Sleeps” beginning at 7 p.m. This performance is “a nightmare comedy that deals with the personal implications of U.S. policy and the practice of torture.” 810 W Lake Street, Minneapolis. 612.825.8949. Tickets are $12-$14.

Compiled by Christina Houghton. Graphics by Danielle Boucher.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Contact Christina at [email protected].