A sneak peak at "The Colored Museum

By Amy Shaunette

This weekend, skip Netflix and forget corner cottage parties, because this Friday, the Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center is the place to be. This fall, Macalester kicks off the theater season with a performance of “The Colored Museum,” by George C. Wolfe.Written in 1985, “The Colored Museum” is a series of vignettes that turn a satirical eye to the icons of black life in an attempt to communicate stories of the African American experience.

Macalester’s rendition is directed by Theater and Dance professor Harry Waters Jr. in his fourth directorial role at Macalester. The play boasts an impressive cast of Eboni Dunbar ’09, Amber Riley ’09, Brandon Nam ’09, Kevin Williams ’09, Soukeyna Sylla ’10 and Kwame Gayle ’11, and each actor plays multiple roles. Students work just as hard off-stage as they do on. Jamie MacPherson ’10 is the stage manager, Russell Schneider ’10 serves as assistant stage manager and Natalie Khuen ’10 is the assistant designer.

“The Colored Museum” opens Friday, Sept. 26 at 7:00 p.m. Additional performances will be held Saturday, Sept 27 at 7:00 and 10:00 p.m.; Sunday, Sept. 28 at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 2 at 7:00 p.m., Friday, Oct. 3 at 7:00 p.m., and Saturday, Oct. 4 at 7:00 and 10:00 p.m. Tickets are free for Mac students, $7 for adults, and $5 for seniors. Call 651-696-6359 for additional ticket information.