A semester in review

By The Mac Weekly

Freshmen Overload Too many of them. ‘Nough said.

Destruction of Philosopher’s Circle

It was unfortunate that Mac students returned to campus to find one of their most beloved campus spaces replaced by Marvin Plaza. The administration cites improved traffic flow and better water drainage as the reasons for leveling the Circle, but it would have been nice to have some notification before the space was transformed.

Hate Speech

Mac students are obviously more reactive to hate speech than most other institutions, but the amount of hate speech incidents that have popped up this semester was ridiculous. Not only is it extremely offensive, but it’s also plain old dumb. However the comments were intended to be received, they were interpreted as senseless insults. Let’s hope this doesn’t point to a rising trend in the use of corrosive language.

Winter Ball

Winter Ball generated quite a whirlwind of controversy last week when demand for the tickets far exceeded the supply. While frustration from students who couldn’t get tickets is certainly understandable, so was the difficulty of judging the demand for tickets.

Overall, the event was a huge success and Katie Agnew has promised that next year’s Winter Ball will be even bigger and better. Moreover, complaints and suggestions that were voiced on the event’s Facebook page will be taken into consideration to make sure the event is treated as a popular one.

Frag-Ments

Whether or not you liked the column, Andy Pragaz’s philosophical ruminations in “Frag-Ments” got people thinking and talking (even if it was about how ridiculous the column was). For example, it generated a hilarious response from Peter Truax in the form of a satirical anecdote. It poked fun at Pragacz’s conspiracy theory accusing the H1N1 panic to be a power mechanism of the medico-industrial complex.

Additionally, Frag-Ments introduced students to an Opinion section series that other students will hopefully emulate in future semesters.

The opinions above are those of the staff of The Mac Weekly. They do not reflect the opinion of Macalester College.