84 admitted under Early Decision I

By Colleen Good

All 84 students who Macalester admitted this year under Early Decision I have confirmed their intention to attend Macalester in the 2008-09 academic year. Of the 84 students, 76 are from the United States.The top six states for ED I applicants and ED I admitted students were Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, California, Illinois and Pennsylvania. The most popular states for ED I applications shift from year to year, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Lorne Robinson said.

There were 139 applications for ED I this year.

The number of students enrolled under ED I is consistent with figures from previous years, with the average from 2003 to 2008 about 80 students per year.

Emily Ulrich ’10 applied early decision in 2005.

“If I had gotten to choose between seven schools, I knew I would choose Macalester,” Ulrich said. “It just came down to the fact that I knew Macalester was my first choice, so why not do Early Decision? … I didn’t want to have to sit around waiting to find out whether or not I got in.”

The applicants had until Jan. 15 to send a reply and a $300 deposit. Students will have until July to indicate if they wish to defer their enrollment to fall 2009.

Early Decision II applicants will receive an admissions decision from Macalester by Feb. 7.