Local Artist Concert: Doomtree Blowout

By Colin Westcott

Are you looking for a release from the malevolence of finals? Are you craving orgasmic beats and conscious lyrics? Minnesota based hip-hop group Doomtree has all you yearn for and more with their annual Blowout held at First Avenue in Minneapolis on December 9th (21+) and 10th (All Ages). For the seventh year, all of the Doomtree artists (Dessa, Mike Mictlan, Lazerbeak, P.O.S., Cecil Otter, Paper Tiger, and Sims) will unite to perform together at the Blowout. Not only do the artists perform their own solo work, but they bring many of their collaborative projects to the stage. Doomtree offers many different styles to please any lover of hip-hop, ranging from the in-your-face delivery of former punk rocker P.O.S. to the melodic poetry of female member Dessa. Doomtree has been a staple in the Twin Cities hip-hop scene and has no plans on stopping their crusade of bringing quality music to the masses. The Doomtree Blowout VII marks a special occasion as the group will be promoting their new collaborative album, No Kings. Also, many of the members have been working on new material or are continuing to endorse their latest records, such as Sims’ high acclaimed Bad Time Zoo. New to the Blowout this year is the weeklong celebration leading up the climactic weekend. From the 4th to the 9th, each emcee of Doomtree will “curate” a show at the 7th Street Entry, giving solo performances and hosting other artists. Guest artists at these shows leading up to the Blowout include local favorites Toki Wright, Brother Ali, I Self Devine, and many others. If you love hip-hop music or want to support the local music scene, the Doomtree Blowout is a fun-filled non-stop party courtesy of some of the most talented artists in the Twin Cities. What’s not to love?!