Face Aids gears up for fashion show

By Owen Daniels

Macalester Face Aids will host a benefit fashion show and silent auction, Friday, Oct. 22 from 7 to 10 p.m. in the Smail Gallery in Olin Rice. “It’s a great event for an even better cause,” says Alexandra McLennan ’12, “the show will be a fun and unique way to donate to something worthwhile.”All proceeds from the show will go to benefit the Kantha Bopha Free Children’s Hospital, with locations in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Swiss humanitarian Dr. Beat Richner founded the hospital in 1992. In addition to providing basic medical care for thousands of children annually, the hospital features a maternity ward for HIV positive mothers. HIV infection is a poorly understood, stigmatized and, growing problem in Southeast Asia. Dr. Richner is currently raising funds to add 300 more beds and to purchase an MRI machine. According to the hospital’s website, Dr. Richner employs over 2300 people, only two of whom are not Cambodian, a blessing in a developing country where good jobs are scarce.

Next Friday’s show will feature student models and clothing from several up and coming fashion designers here in the Twin Cities as well as nationally. All of the clothes featured in the show will be available for purchase in a silent auction. Food and beverages will be served. Tickets will be available downstairs in the Campus Center all of next week. Reservations can also be made via email at [email protected]. Ticket prices are $5 for students and faculty, $10 for all other adults. Donations are greatly appreciated as well.